The railway from Melbourne to Kyneton opened in April 1862. The extension to Sandhurst (renamed Bendigo in 1891) opened in October 1862 and the further extension to Echuca opened in September 1864.
TPOs 3, 4 and 14 served along this route. The evidence suggests TPO3 only went as far as Sandhurst until about 1890, after which it went to Echuca. TPO4 travelled to Echuca from the start and may have provided service from Bendigo to Mildura after 1903.
Stations served include Macedon, Woodend, Kyneton, Taradale, Castlemaine, Daylesford, Sandhurst, and further north to Rochester and Echuca.
No uptrain service is recorded on TPO14 until 1924. The scarcity of material form TPO14 suggests it had limited use.